Friday, September 5, 2008

Communication skills post

I am an English major, and have taken a variety of writing classes previously. ( I will admit, however, that my typing skills are still pathetic). As a result of these classes, I would say that my strength is the presentation and polish of my writing. I have developed a procedure for writing pieces that was begun in high school (yes, ancient times), and has continued to evolve since. Writing is probably my favorite past time -- besides playing or watching football. What can I say? I'm a guy.
My most pronounced weakness is in business writing. I have always worked blue-collar jobs, and none of these positions required ability in business writing. I thought it might prove useful in future endeavors to be familiar with the varying formats, styles, and techniques germane to business writing. At the present time, this particular discipline of writing is where an outsider would consider me deficient.
I am fairly confident in my public speaking and interpersonal communication skills, as well. I have a minor in communications. I don't mind speaking in front of groups, and I've often been "nominated" to be the oral presenter for various group projects.
Here are my weaker traits which I hope to strengthen through this course (as from the list):
1) familiarity with memo, letter, and report formats for business documents
2) specialized vocabulary from the professional business world
3) ALWAYS having credibility within presentations (professional business world)
I guess that I'm not completely certain what professional business expects and values within acceptable writings.
Bill L.

No comments: