Friday, October 10, 2008

My individual project update 10/10

I must admit that I have encountered some resistance from the other non-union construction companies in town regarding the securing of one of their employee manuals. I would still like to procure a copy of a third drug testing policy for the purpose of my comparison against the two policies which are in play at my own company. Moreover, the resistance that I have encountered for simply getting a copy of this policy from a third company makes it certain that I will have to research results on the effectiveness of drug policies. Certainly, if a company is reticent to simply give me a written policy- they will abhore providing me concrete statistics regarding their workforce.
As far as the two separate policies at work in my own company, I have really learned some things so far. I am a non-union employee, so I was fairly familiar with our drug testing policy. However, I have discovered that the policy governing the union employees in my company contains even more stipulations and restrictions than I had been told! Union employees also have several recourses in the event of a positive test that non-union employees do not have. When undertaking a project like this, one can truly witness the power that a labor union can hold-- even today.

No comments: